Welcome to Lutterworth and District Museum!
OUR OPENING HOURS ARE THURSDAY TO SUNDAY, 10AM TO 3PM.
Following on from the successful display of art by Lutterworth College Year 10 Students (which was absolutely excellent, and congratulations must go to all students who took part), we are currently working on the first “re-fresh” of the museum displays.
We want the museum to tell the story of Lutterworth – not just the great inventions or the world changing work that was done in our town – but how Lutterworth started and got to where it is today. Of course, we will mention the invention of the jet engine and the translation of the bible (!), but there is so much more to know.
The key “pillars” of the museum display will obviously remain, after all you can’t change history, and engines that weigh around a ton aren’t easy to move!! However, we are extending our research and are looking to bring you displays that will open your eyes about the history of the town, along with the people in it.
So, look out for our website and social media announcements, along with posters around the town. Meanwhile…….
- Walk through the history of Lutterworth by following a time line
- View exhibits ranging from Roman times to the present day
- Consider Lutterworth’s history put in to context
- See the famous Merlin and Whittle engines in a newly interpreted display
- Learn from video and audio presentations which will hopefully enliven your experience
- Experience key timeline exhibits that will always be there, and other exhibits that we will rotate over time to keep the visitor experience as fresh as possible
- And then come back later as on going development of the displays, which will involve more and more research, brings more of our history to light
Remember, if you want to add your name to our growing list of volunteers to become involved with the project, please let us know!
We are an independent museum, staffed & run entirely by volunteers. Our aim is to collect and preserve the documents & artefacts which chart the history of Lutterworth & its surrounding network of villages from earliest times to the present day.
We’re located at our new site at “High Point”, immediately to the left of the Shambles pub, and we hope to re-open our doors to visitors for a “taster” session at the end of August 2022, with full opening hopefully at the end of September. Contact us to find out more.